Monday, April 20, 2009

Victorian Rabbits, Hats And The Kentucky Derby

And here we have my bunny Jasper or as she likes to be called "Lady Jasper". "Lady Jasper" thinks she is a distant cousin to Queen Elizabeth. Here she is modeling a victorian bonnet or touring hat. She is deciding what hat to wear for the Kentucky Derby. "Lady Jasper" will bop into The Savvy Fashion Hound from time to time, perhaps modeling another hat.

I've always loved hats, although my head or maybe it's just all my hair has kept me from wearing them unless I have one custom made or find the right one. I even used to sell them in my retail space in Woodstock. Not just cute newsboy caps but large brimmed beautiful hats with silk flowers, netting and bows. It took a special customer to want a hat. My mother and I used to wonder why women just didn't wear hats anymore. Guess they just were afraid of the dreaded "hat hair".

One place you will always find exquisite hats is the Kentucky Derby. The Kentucky Derby held the first Saturday in May is steeped in tradition. The history of Derby hats goes back over one hundred years and this year over 90% of the women attending will be wearing fashionable hats.

Polly Singer of Couture Hats & Veils in Lexington, Kentucky is an internationally known hat designer for Kentucky Derby hats.








As you can see there are many styles for the Derby. Victorian hats are my favorite and East Angel Harbor has both Victorian and Edwardian styles. They are all beautiful. If you're crafty, you can always embellish a hat by adding your own flowers, ribbon and even feathers! Although clothing has become more casual hats still are a great form of expression in the world of fashion.

Curious Hound has hats from time to time. Please check back often. We have adorable straw hats and matching handbags for little girls available accented in peach or lavender flowers.






No comments:

Post a Comment